Re: [RC] Sciatica - Chris Paus

Mary,

I've lived with serious back problems and I'd suggest
a two-pronged approach to keep you riding. This is not
going to get better on its own and if you want to ride
in pain, that's one choice.

I do recommend going through with chiropractic. I also
recommend exercise BUT you need to have a doctor or
chiro prescribe the exercise and order it from a
physical therapist.  The exersing alone will not put
that vertebra back in place, but if you have the
chiropractic done without exercise, the muscles won't
hold it where it needs to be.

So it's best to do both.. the muscles make your back
stronger so it will hold an adjustment better and not
come "undone." Thus with exercise, you likely would
not need as much chiropractic work done.

I said to go to a PT because back exercises are very
specific for the kind of problem you have. I had a
herniated disk betwen L5 and L6. My well meaning
brother in law had me do some of his exercises. Well,
that was EXACTLY the wrong thing for my particular
back problem. It spread the disk further apart, making
the situation worse. It set me waaaay back in my
healing.

It really is important to do things the right way. if
you do, you will get better and you'll have a much
better time when you ride.

chris
--- Mary Orosz <mary@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Just found out why I have sciatica.  About 3 years
ago when Jack bolted, I
bailed and fell pretty hard.  As the sciatica got
worse, I gave in and
finally went to a chiropractor last week.  He took
e-xrays.  The x-ray shows
my L5 vertebrae was shoved out of alignment.  Now he
suggests $1800 of
treatments.  Has anyone else had this and what did
you do? One of the
reasons I hesitate is that it seems that riding
would be counter productive
to the treatments and I truthfully don't want to put
riding on hold. Plus, I
keep thinking of the rides I could go to with that
$1800.  Does anyone know
of any exercises that might help?

- Mary

=====
"A good horse makes short miles," George Eliot

Chris and Star

BayRab Acres
http://pages.prodigy.net/paus