[RC] Standardbreds - Chris Eickleberry

….…while working for almost 10 years on a boarding farm that handled mostly Standardbreds , I got to see lots of great horses- and I’ve always thought what a wonderful Distance horse some of them could make…..or crossed with an Arab, yes!!!!! Watching those trotters take off across the paddock when I took them out- wow- what a trot!!!! (pacers ore OK, but give me a trotting horse any day.)

..….in re their training methods, the trainers I met up in Indy at the Fairgrounds talked about just putting them in harness and putting them in a stall, and letting them come to grips with things that way. I found most of our boarders to have great temperaments, and the weanlings gentled down really easy and fast. (That was my favorite part of the day, working with the “kids”.) I now work on a Thoroughbred farm, and ,wow, are they DIFFERENT!! I guess because the S’breds are still bred for good easy handling and mellow temperament….those trainers were great fans of gelding! -while the racing Thoroughbreds are bred for one thing—speed.  Doesn’t seem to matter if their legs are crooked or bad feet or if they try to kill their handlers- breed ‘em if they run fast!!! Give me a Standardbred any day…….Chris E./Indiana