[RC] driving Arabians - Jonni

Kat posted: >>>There are some Saddlebred afficianados who put Saddlebreds in
harness and will use them for such; however, there are people who put
arabian horses in harness too, despite the fact that neither of these breeds
had ability as a harness horse as part of their selection criteria (and hard
core drivers have a tendency to steer clear of them:)).<<<

Arabians typically, do not have the neck, chest, shoulder conformation to be
as suitable as competitive carriage horses, as other breeds. (I am not
talking going around in circles in an arena for 20 min. in a show) But, as
there are individuals in any breed, that can do well in most any horse
sport, there have been many Arabians to be VERY competitive in Combined
Driving Events. (for those unfamiliar, they are like 3 day eventing, with
carriages, obstacles instead of jumps) Some of the "hard core" drivers back
east, where the sport is much more popular and common, have indeed chose
Arabians, and Arabian crosses. Because I like Arabians, that is the breed I
have used for Combined Driving, and had a gelding that could play with the
"big boys" and hold his own.  My current driving horse, has decided he has
issues with pushing into the breast collar. This is probably part of the
conformation issues of Arabians in general, that make it difficult for some
to "push" the carriage. (I know we say pull, but really, they push the
harness, with their chest.)  I will try a full neck collar on him, before
writing him off as a competitive driving animal. I think more of the 'hard
core' drivers turn away from Arabians, as most have just not had experience
with the breed. More and more are using larger warmbloods. Of course,
Morgans have dominated the sport for years. And, there are probably more
Arabians doing CDE type events that Saddlebreds. Not sure why, and had never
really thought about it, but the Saddlebred numbers are just not as high at
the events I have attended.

Many use Standardbreds, and a few have been VERY successful, but often, the
dressage section is difficult for some, as the horses (even trotters) often
have a way of going that has the slightest pace like trot, that many judges
just don't like, and many don't compete beyond the lower level events.

Just my personal observations.

Jonni