Re: [RC] Standardbreds & Saddlebreds - firedancefarms

I have had several 1/2 Arabian, 1/2 Saddlebreds and they have all been absolutely wonderful horses!  The ones we have had all had fast walks, super fast trots, don't shy at anything, and just love to go down the trail.  Some of them do have a high wither/low back conformation, but it is very different from a purebred with a long back, and we have never had any problem with the backs at all, with heavyweight riders.

I have found them to take a little longer to get into condition.  Their pulses are fine for high middle of the pack types, but if you were really running for a serious win, I'd ride a purebred, who will have an advantage in the vet checks.

Speaking of crosses, we are riding a gorgeous "mutt" who is a homozygous 15.3h pinto stallion who is 3/8 Arabian, 3/8 saddlebred, and 1/4 Paint!  He seems to have gotten the best of all three (though I don't see much paint in him) and has been a wonderful ride..smooth..good PR...

I think more people are riding crosses now than in the past?
Happy Trails, on whatever you ride!
Louise
Louise Burton
Firedance Farms Endurance Arabians