Re: [RC] Standardbreds & Saddlebreds - Sisu West Ranch

".... because of their
lack of the high knee action most saddlebreds have,
which to me would seem to be a waste of energy out on
the trail.  Saddlebreds by breeding also have a very
l...o...n...g back which makes them break down easier
and sooner as well....."

The high action is relatively easily trained away. Ranger ( a NSH) had it all when I got him, a few months of extended trot until he was tired convinced him that less action was better. He still will do his "Saddlebred" thing when held in and excited. If you think of the Saddlebred shows you have seen, you will realize that they are "collected" and on a tight rein when exhibiting the "show" gates.

Putting the Arabian into the Saddlebred often gets rid of the long back. I am not a fan of breeding an NSH to an NSH. I feel you get a much more predictable product when you cross an Arab with a Saddlebred. If I had a NSH mare that I felt was great, instead of breeding her on, I would look for or breed the same cross again. I feel that I would have a better chance of getting one "just like her". Both my NSH geldings are Saddlebred stallions on Arab mares. I personally applaud breeders who carefully breed lines of horses thinking generations ahead. Sometimes the results of this type of program, when out crossed produce exceptional athletes that should not be bred on.

Ed

PS. If your favorite NSH is a product of the mating of a NSH to whatever, don't conclude that I said it should never have been born. I just don't feel that this is the way to consistantly produce exceptional NSH's. I will also agree, that given enough time, energy, and breedings the NSH could be developed into a closed registry with a consistant performance/ appearance, it just isn't at that point. It perhaps in a few centuries ......

Ed & Wendy Hauser
2994 Mittower Road
Victor, MT 59875

(406) 642-9640