[RC] and new behavior now that we are in oregon instead of miami - LTYearwood

In a message dated 11/13/2004 2:40:35 PM Pacific Standard Time, laneyh@xxxxxxxx writes:
Some of his boldness may just be excitement over being in a new and
exciting place (& cooler weather).  You are right to hold him bac
IYeah. But it worries me, how much his behavior has changed. In Miami, Vashka always felt free enough to urniate and "do his business" on the trail. He ate well, drank well. I ride in a bitless so I let him nibble on grass, ect.

But now, in Oregon, he is too uptight! He won't go to the bathroom for hours on end and he even refuses his carrot treats on the the trail! I actually thought he was colicing on an all day ride because he wouldn't eat his carrots. Unthinkable in the "old" Vashka.

When I try to give him treats, he just stares at the other horses, as if to say: "Gotta keep my eye on them. Can't let them get ahead!"

I feel guilty because I think my frevor and enthusiasm has flowed directly into my horse, and made him nervous as all get up. I used to talk to him ad naseum about all that we were going to do once we finally made our big move across the country. Thing is, he is not having fun. Way too perfect and intense. NEVER bucks anymore because he is too busy trying to beat everyone.

Last week we rode with a really good Tevis rider. And I forgot the axiom -- ride your own ride -- and let Vashka go full steam ahead. He ended up straining his muscle. We thought he had tied up. Thank God he didn't. But I learned my lesson!

So I'm going to cut my rides down to one or two people rides, maybe big group rides only once in awhile. I love endurance and I love the idea of endurance. But not if I'm going to turn my horse into a stressed out worry wart.

I feel so bad right now for him!

Lori