Re: [RC] Transitioning from Miami to Oregon terrain -- need someh - Laney

Hi Lori,
I have ridden my horses in all kinds of terrain and climate and they have done fine because I have taken it really SLOW! As an example, when I've bought a new horse, I expect it to take at least 6 months to adjust its body to its new home and that's not saying anything about being ridden by a new rider in new terrain. To me, most signs of the stress a horse is under due to a big move are very subtle; the horse may not appear stressed at all, but it is. So, my advice is to go slow, take the time it takes and always make sure your horse is getting enough good food to keep it's weight right. Your horse may need even more hay than usual this winter since it is dealing with cold and wet for the first time. I'd put my money on good quality hay rather than e'lytes which are used to replace what's lost in sweat which he probably isn't doing much of now or a specific vitamin. If you're the picky sort, have the hay you buy analyzed then feed whatever supplementary vitamins and minerals are needed. Some of his boldness may just be excitement over being in a new and exciting place (& cooler weather). You are right to hold him back. Since it's getting into winter, this is the perfect time to take it easy and just go for short, easy pleasure rides exploring your new territory. "Conditioning" can wait til spring!
Have fun!
Laney

LTYearwood@xxxxxxx wrote:

Hi Everyone,
Now that Vashka and I are in Oregon, we have a lot of getting used to the terrain to do! It's a BIG change, going from completley flat to almost all ups and downs.
Vashka is very bold and willing. In fact he's so bold and willing that I have to learn to hold him back, so he doesn't hurt himself. Something I never had to do before.
Last Sunday, I hate to admit, I was unable and partly unwilling to pull him back and he came up sore. This was my fault and I learned a big lesson about getting my ego out of the way and about riding my own ride.
I am now determined to start our conditioning on a serious note and to cut way, way back on the length and difficulty of our rides.
Is there anyone out there who has made this kind of transition successfully? I would love to hear from you.
Also, I have been told to check into electrolytes and or vitamin B -- to help Vashka have the extra energy this transition is taking. I have ordered from ABC before but the shipping is so expensive. Any other, less costly alternatives?
Thansk everyone,
Lori and Vashka