Re: [RC] Ideal location to live... - LTYearwood

Hi Katie

Five months ago I was living in Miami and looking for a place to live and asking folks on ridecamp for suggestions. Today I live in Grants Pass, Oregon. I wanted to live in Northern California -- but it was too expensive for me, as living with my horse on some acreage was a requirment for me. The cheapest thing I could find was a mobile home on an acre for $250,000 in Humboldt County. And the house needed about $30,000 worth of work!

Finally, the realator looked at my downcast face and recommended Southern Oregon. I had never considered Southern Oregon. So get this -- I went to an ice cream shop to comfort myself and this guy named Scott, someone I had never met before, takes out a real estate guide and suggests I visit Southern Oregon.

I was at the end of a business trip and I had time. So I did. My heart broke open the second I drove over the pass. And I knew I was on my property the second I stepped on the ground. It was green. I knew it wouldn't always be -- it freezes up here -- but it felt fertile.

I bought it. Three days in Oregon and I bought my home. It's a little ranch house on 3 and a half acres. It needed A LOT of work. It still needs a lot of work. But it's MINE! :)

So Vashka and Harley (his mini), my beagle, and three cats, packed our bag and tack, hooked up the trailer -- and drove across the country. I thought the drive was going to take 9 days. It took 23 due to a tornado and gas contimination to my car. But that is another story.

I'm a journalist, so finding a job wasn't such a huge issue for me. I freelance. Living near trails and rides and having some nice pasture was what I was worrying about.

I also put a few posts out last year about living in a progressive area. I don't think where I live is known for being "progressive." But I have found my folks -- artsy folks with warm hearts and open minds.

I knew no one here. But in less than three months I had found a riding group. They're pretty wonderful -- they throw holiday parties and talk incessantly about horses -- and include a woman who completed the Tevis last year. At least three times a week, we ride through the mountains and over streams and let me tell you -- for a city girl, this is heaven. (I'm from the Bay Area originally as well)

What do you want to do for a living? If you consider coming here, make sure you can get a job -- it's known for being hard to find employment.

Good luck and feel free to contact me whenever you would like.

Lori and Vashka