[RC] Straining to urinate - emergency? - Jennifer Thompson

Hi all,

I am sitting here wondering what to do.....was just told by the vet to wait 2 hours and check on my gelding again, so in the meantime I thought I'd ask if any of you have experienced this:

Arrived at the barn tonight and Shahtahr was acting a little quiet. He had eaten all of his evening feeding. I took him out and handwalked him for about 1/2 mile. He seemed normal during the walk and was trying to get at every blade of grass we passed so I dismissed his earlier quietness.

Back at the barn, I put him in the turnout. He started walking around, then standing parked out like he was trying to urinate. Just a little came out. He then walked a little ways further, then did it again, with just a small amount of urine coming out. Urine looks normal - it's the lack of volume that is concerning me.

Other than that, he is acting normal. Trotted around the turnout, looking for food, etc.

I'm freaking out. I called the vet, who said it could be a sign of colic, bladder stones, or any number of things. Since his appetite is normal and he's not acting otherwise colicky, she said to go home and return in 2 hours to see how he is.

Lately, he has taken to rubbing his belly on the ground when he rolls - he looks kinda like a dog when he does it. I'm wondering if maybe he's gotten dirt up in his sheath and caused an infection?

Has anyone had their horse act this way?

Worried sick,
Jennifer