Re: [RC] Texas Trails-Sam Houston National - RDCARRIE

Hi Judy,
There are lots of opportunities for riding on the Sam Houston.  I work for the Forest Service on that Forest and live in Huntsville.  We have about 80 miles of multi-use trails (used mostly by motorcycle riders - most are very courteous to horses), but also used a lot by horse folks.  In addition, there are literally hundreds of miles of roads - gravel roads, dirt roads, partially grown-over roads, etc. that one can explore.  Fire lines (cleared by our dozers for controlled burns) are also great riding routes.  You can ride anywhere on the Forest except on the one hiking trail that traverses the forest and in our two small scenic areas (on the far east part of the Forest near Cleveland).  With 162,000+ acres, opportunities are limitless.

There are quite a few distance riders (both endurance and CTR) in the area, and a small equestrian group (Sam Houston Forest Equestrian Association) that meets to ride regularly (check out their website - do a Google search).  My husband and I and a group of friends ride together every Saturday (although it's hunting season now, so we ride off-forest).

Stop by my office if you're in the area and I can show you maps, etc.  My office is on FM 1375, about 3 miles west of I-45.

There are also a lot of endurance rides in the area...and my husband and I and our friends will be managing a new 2-day ride next spring near Huntsville.

Dawn Carrie