[RC] {SPAM?} Riding on a Budget - mkrumlaw

When I started distance riding I was in my early to mid 20's.  I was
working full time, going to school part-time, and my now ex-husband was
working on his 2nd Ph. D. (everyone needs two...right?) so money was a
little tight.  I found someone else interested in distance riding and we
went to events together, shared gas costs, trailer costs, etc.  Slept in
a tent used a cooler and a grill..life was good.  I also lived in an area
that was pretty close to a lot of rides.  Many were CTR rides but I still
was riding and was new enough to distance riding that I didn't care.
Plus I thought the ribbons were cool.  I bought one really good saddle,
one really good bride etc. and those items lasted for years.  Had one
horse and took really good care of him.  I boarded my horse but would
clean stalls for extra cash.

As someone stated, you have to reduce your living costs or increase your
income.  I opted for the later.  I continued to ride but seriously
focused on my career. This plan paid off very well for me.

I eventually married someone that rides (this significantly reduces the
stress involved in domestic discussions of the annual equine budget.)  As
luck would have it we've both done well with our careers, we have no
children (well unless you count Corgi's), and are fortunate enough to be
able to as we please for the most part.

Life is about choices and balance.

It's also like the sport of endurance.  You grow and add to the
collection with each mile ridden, doesn't matter if it's equipment or
knowledge, it all takes time.

MKS

I also live by "no one said it was cheap, easy, or
fair."

This message was sent using MailMan
provided by Good News Internet Services
http://www.goodnews.net/