[RC] re: does weight really matter? - Marlene Moss

Howard,

I think the question is still up in the air though.  Of course weight matters to the horse.  If my husband conditioned my horse and I competed, I could go faster.  But it doesn’t happen that way.  I condition my horse, I compete my horse, and she is used to my weight.  Same with my husband on his horse.  He can’t condition mine for me because then I’d have to condition his – and that would be very unfair to the horse.

I just got a new horse to train and maybe sell later on.  He is barely 14H and weighs less than 800 pounds.  He’s been underfed and not ridden in a year.  I weigh 140-145 and end up around 165 at the end of a ride with all my gear.  Does he feel my weight and does it have a real impact?  Yep, cuz I’ve only ridden him 3 times.  Longest ride was 6 miles in almost 2 hours and with some decent hills.  I knew he was feeling it toward the end.  But by next May, he’ll be screaming along the trail same as my 14.2H arab cross.

Could he ever carry my husband – nah, his feet would be dragging the ground!  But my arab cross could certainly be conditioned to carry my husband in the same time frame.  And at that time, I would have no advantage with my weight (in my opinion).

I think there probably is some variation depending upon the type of ride.  At the higher speeds weight may have a bigger impact than my experience level gives me.  Fastest I’ve averaged is about 8mph (moving).  Climbing may have a bigger impact, but maybe it isn’t as bad if you slow down enough for the hill.  I really don’t know for sure, just that my feeling at this point is that if the horse is conditioned by the rider that competes, the impact of weight isn’t that significant.

Marlene

Marlene Moss

www.KineticEquineAnalysis.com

www.mphr.org (Mustang Performance Horse Registry)