[RC] Weight matters but I ain't strippin! - Susan, Princess of Pink

I agree with you Bob...to a certain point.  I ain't taken my clothes off!!!  Besides, my horse carried them too.  And, yes, he carried the mud on my shoes...and I try to kick as much of that off as I can.

If a rider dunks the saddle pad in water, that's wrong.  If a rider steps off the horse, untacks then steps on the scale, that's right.

What's the big deal in all of this?  A FW can't ride as a HW but a HW can ride as a FW.  So what?  Why would I want to do that?  As has already been pointed out, the population in each weight division is about equal.  HW's are as competitive as any other division.  I'm a true HW with my current saddle.  If I ride in a lighter saddle BECAUSE IT FITS MY HORSE, then I carry something THE ENTIRE RIDE to make up the difference.  No one polices me because my character, integrity and reputation is well known and respected.  I wouldn't WANT to do anything to damage my reputation.  From what I know of AERC's membership, this statement is the rule and not the exception.  We endurance riders are a pretty decent lot.

If a rider wants to weight as heavy in his/her weight division in order to gain a few points for BC placing, fine.  That person is STILL in his/her weight division and the extra points are fine because the horse carried the weight the entire time.  Weight does matter.

I don't think we have a big problem here...so let's don't make one.  Ride managers can handle the few who break this or any other rule.

bobmorris@xxxxxxxx wrote:
It confounds me when we have a simple weight rule
"Consisting of riders whose combined body weight and tack
is...."

So very simple that you just weigh the body and tack. What
could be more clear than that? Body and tack. Now, in my
mind water is not tack. Clothes are not tack. Easy Boots are
tack. A leatherman tool is not tack. Ad infinitum!

Please, weigh just as the AERC rules state, body and tack.

Susan [Young], The Princess of Pink
Semper Obliquo (Always aside)

Glenndale Grace Farm, Ft Gibson, Oklahoma U.S.A.

"Ride on! Rough-shod if need be, smooth-shod if that will do, but ride on! Ride on over all obstacles, and win the race!" - Charles Dickens (1812-1870)