[RC] does weight really matter? - Marlene Moss

I’ve been pondering this for a while.  I think my conclusion is that weight doesn’t matter except to spread awards around a bit – which I have appreciated!  But I don’t think weight should even matter for BC, or at least be valued less.

Here’s how I look at it.  My husband and I condition together and compete together.  He weighs 80 pounds more than I do.  His horse is conditioned to carry his weight (our saddles and stuff are similar except I carry more water) and mine is conditioned to carry my weight.  Now unless we suddenly switched horses, I don’t think either of us has an advantage.  I don’t notice his horse more tired after a ride than mine.

And as others have mentioned, many riders are on the ground, sometimes even for significant periods of time.  Not me unless we find and entirely downhill ride!  But if someone really wants to “take advantage” this is as far as you have to go to give your horse a benefit.  Otherwise, ride your ride as the horse was conditioned and weight really doesn’t matter.

Maybe Susan G could do another weight study (or maybe sufficient data is already available?) to put some of this to rest?  The only reason I can think of for all this scrambling for weight is to be in a smaller weight class (aside from the BC issue).

So I don’t really care how many weight divisions we have – 3 seems easier.  But it doesn’t seem to mean a whole lot to me!

Marlene

Marlene Moss

www.KineticEquineAnalysis.com

www.mphr.org (Mustang Performance Horse Registry)