Re: [RC] Weight Divisions - Truman Prevatt

It would be interesting for someone to look at this. I have a friend that does long distance bike touring. He told me that weight loss amoung these guys is a critical issue. I also know the weight loss from a average day baseball game in Western Kentucky when I was playing Legion ball was depending on the position, 5 to 15 pounds (the catcher losing the most). Most of that I suspect was water. I suspect human weight loss in an endurance ride comes from two factors, loss of weight from the use of energy and loss of weight from water loss. Some people's bodies will retain water under certain conditions.

If you don't eat much on rides (which I don't) - you will probably suffer some weight loss in 50 miles  - especially in 100 miles. While it would be nice to eat, most people - unless there is some medical predispositon to hypoglycemia - can go a long period of time without eatting and maintain exercise at a low level. Humans evolved going for long periods of not eatting - if the hunting was bad you didn't eat much.

Truman

The bigger they are the harder it is to knock them down ;-)!

rides2far@xxxxxxxx wrote:
Reading Trail Blazer article about Tevis and noticed a quote from Cathy
Richardson about her Tevis finish this year:

"With wet tack and clothing, I weighed 5 lbs heavier than at the start.
Poor Fifi!"

So...I'm seeing men saying they lose 10 or 15 lbs. and woman who say they
don't lose any. Is this a real phenomenon or is it vanity? Do women want
you to think "I *never* weighed any more than this!" and do men want us
to think they're bigger guys than they really are?

Anybody weighed a typical Toklat pad dry and then sweat soaked to see the
difference?

Angie

The bigger they are, the farther you fall.

--
Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch

Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote!
--Benjamin Franklin