[RC] DAL Election / Weight Divisions!! - Ridecamp Guest

Please Reply to: Edie  Booth desertbred@xxxxxxxxxxx or ridecamp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

New Issue DAL Election / Weight Divisions!!

Randy echoed my sentiments exactly when he said the following relative to the
UAE/ camel jockey/ child abuse issue: "The AERC BOD is made up of serious,
caring, and informed individuals - we may fight like cats and dogs sometimes,
but I have great confidence in their understanding of what is the right thing
to do?."

All this year I have observed a DAL riding in Heavyweight division who could in
no way reach the weight cut-off without some extraordinary measures.  Mike
Maul, incumbent Director At Large, running for re-election on the ballot you
have just received (or will receive very shortly), rides in a light saddle with
6 water bottles and a couple of tack bags.  When asked on numerous occasions
how he could possibly be riding heavyweight, Mike has a litany of items he says
he carries with him.

I have observed several heavyweight riders working their tails off in good
honest competition, but with Mike they are at a disadvantage.  At three
different rides this year I have asked for a weight division challenge on
Mike's riding weight, but abandoned the first two requests due to the added
weight of constant rain during the ride.  I weighed an extra 13 # myself (I AM
a lightweight rider.)

On the third attempt to get an honest weight on Mike, I challenged at the
Armadillo Ride this past weekend.  Management told Mike they wanted a weight
after he went to the Vet, and he immediately requested water.  (I had told the
manager I did not care if he refilled his water bottles-- however, they were
full-- don't know full with what, but Mike knew they were the way he wanted
them).  He downed three (3) full 20-ounce cups of water!

When Mike weighed with every bit of his tack. He weighed in at 210 pounds, 4
and a half pounds of that just drunk in water.

When a couple of us went to talk to Mike later to encourage him to move to his
own Middleweight division in the interest of fairness to the real heavyweight
riders, he was angry, and shouted that I should consult the rules (of which I
am certainly familiar), that technically he could weigh in at 4% loss of
weight, which means he could weigh as little as 202.5 pounds and ride
heavyweight.  He also shouted accusations about Heavyweight riders being
jealous, etc. etc.

So I say to you Mike:  Yes, technically you can compete against those big boys
and beat them all?.   technically.  And that is just what I am looking for in a
Director:  someone who is looking at tweaking the rules for their own advantage
and chugging water to meet their weight.  (Technically, he would have still
weighed in without the water; he just wasn't sure, because he knows he is not a
Heavyweight rider.)

When I look on that ballot for a great Director, I want someone who leads by
example, someone who exhibits exceptional integrity, not someone who will
squeak by with what they can get away with.  I want someone with the integrity
to discern the intent of the rule, not the `technical` limits.  I want someone
who has a very high standard of ethics and applies those ethics in his personal
behavior.

There should be no one more concerned with ethics than our Board, and since we
are a self-policing amateur organization, I hope that you all will join me in
self policing on the ballot and not choose someone who just does not get it,
just does not understand "what is the right thing to do?."  There are plenty of
ethical candidates.

Edie Booth      AERC #20