[RC] UAE - Laura Hayes

We think this discussion is very valid, and we really do understand the issues from all sides of this argument- Steph, Heidi and those that feel we are being too rash in our assessment.  We do not understand, of course, the side that started all this- the one that is accused of enslaving small boys, and we have not heard from them directly.

Like Kim, we have researched the issue intensely and believe it to be a valid subject.  There is nothing 'political' in our wish to not associate with the UAE as long as the child slavery exists, it is merely a moral and ethical choice my family has made for ourselves.

In discussing it among ourselves (husband, wife and 20 year old Poli Sci major son) we have agreed that **even if we were the rider participants here** we would feel the same and would make the same decision.  While you can say that it is easy for us to say this, not being in that situation, I can only compare it to other 'dreams' and aspirations we have had or currently have in life, and assure you that we would make the same decision under the same circumstances. It pains us that some of the people we admire and care for will not.  But that is life and thank goodness we are all different....

As for us, we will do whatever part we can for the betterment of these children, starting with a raising of awareness of the situation and a removal of ourselves from any proximity.

Laura Hayes AERC#2741
Mark McConnon AERC#11077