Re: [RC] leg wraps - Ed & Wendy Hauser

"....Regarding suspensory palpation...would help of anyone would jump in
here and
give some tips on palpation...."

I specifically referred the questioner to a vet because I feel that
palpation, reactions etc. is one of those things that has to be taught one
to one with horses who have some soreness.  I have been lucky that over the
years because I have had some vets who were willing to spend time to teach
me.  I have also been lucky to have had some fellow competitors let me
palpate their horse after the vet took off some points.  I am not good
enough to practice vet medicine, or to teach others, but I do know enough to
know when my horse has a problem that surely must be looked at by a vet, in
the clinic.  I also have great sympathy for vets who must score a minor
problem is in 30 seconds so he/she can go on to the next horse.

The other consideration is at a ride the vet is not doing a workup or
diagnosis.  He/she is just quickly deciding if there is a problem that
should be scored (or the horse should be pulled).  At a vet clinic, the vet
can take an hour if necessary.  He/she can call other vets over to look at
the horse (assuming that it is a multiple vet clinic), he she can use a
whole array of diagnostic tools: X-ray, ultrasound, nerve blocks, etc.

At a ride most vets will error on the side of caution.  They will score, or
pull for a reaction feeling that caution never did harm to any horse.

Ed
Ed & Wendy Hauser
2994 Mittower Road
Victor, MT 59875