Re: [RC] leg wraps - Alice Yovich

The next chance you get, have a friendly vet (ride or personal) show you how
to check the suspensory.  It is easy to feel, and the reaction is easy to
notice.

That was my problem with the call I guess. I never saw any reaction. he also squeezed her pecs and said "sore withers" I was flummoxed at the different things the vet was calling. Why didn't he tell me she was sore somewhere else? I wasn't quite sure I believed him, plus he was calling horses with no noticeable lameness to the riders as grade one lame or better, so it made us all a bit doubtful. I rode Wed., lightly, and there was no heat, fill, or soreness in any of her legs that I could tell.

I would have also thought that heat in one leg would have been consistent from one day to the next. I was upset b/c the vet never told me she had heat. He just marked it on her score card. Same with the suspensory. Shouldn't he have told me? What if I hadn't stayed for awards and gotten my cards and then done something that further injured her?

Don't you just love the detailed NARK rules?

i don't really mind the rules, honestly. I enjoy the sport and plan to keep doing it. I just get upset when I feel a judge is being random in his calls and taking points. Up to check out my horse was sitting 2-3 place and we lost 10 points at checkout and I'm not convinced that any of the things he docked me for existed. Ok, well, I believe she was sore in her withers, but found it interesting that it wasn't until he squeezed her pecs that she reacted. She had a very sore girth and he didn't even check or dock me for that, though I did lose a couple points for her clacking her teeth at me while he was busy hurting her.

This mare has always checked out with no heat, fill or soreness in any leg. We came to the ride knowing that we had a potential stifle issue and nothing came of that at all. She's been on Adequan and I've changed her feet for the moment to help her stifle along. She was more fit than I've ever seen her at a ride. She was very bright and eager to go and never even acted tired, so I had a hard time understanding his calls.