RE: [RC] Oxygenated Blood Flow, Temperature Differentials, Breatheability - heidi

Dear Friends:

      I was asked by Richard Sacks of Equipedic, by phone, & others by e-mail
evaluate the 'science' behind the Equipedic pads.

Very thoughtful post, Quentin--thanks.

I have no doubt that the Equipedic pad is a dandy pad, and I know many
riders are doing well with them.  However, I do find the "science" that is
stated pretty hard to swallow as well.

Our booth at AERC last year was right next to the Equipedic booth.  I
heard a great deal from the man tending the booth gloating about how many
people were walking around the hall with Equipedic pads that they had just
purchased, and how few were walking around with Skito pads.  I also heard
a lot of bad-mouthing about Skito from him.  Now, I know Tom from Skito
pretty well, and he has been nothing but up front and helpful to us.  I
also know that he was busier than a one-armed paper hanger at his booth,
and did not bring a lot of pads to sell, but was instead taking orders
hand over fist at convention and shipping pads out, instead of selling
them on site.  If the "science" behind Equipedic has been approached in
the same way as the vendor's way of determining popularity among the
customers at convention, then it is bound to be a little bit
"pie-in-the-sky."  Additionally, I have not once heard Tom bad-mouth
Equipedic.

Maybe I'm a bit old-fashioned--but the new Skito pad with the Dixie
Midnight stuff on top to keep an air circulation layer between the pad
(wicking the sweat away) and the saddle has done wonders for my horses
both in terms of getting the sweat away from the back and in keeping the
back cooler.  Given the fact that my success with the pad seems to be the
same as the success that people report with Equipedic, I'm going to stick
with the people who don't try to sell me pseudo-science, and who are more
respectful toward their competitors.

Heidi