Re: [RC] leg wraps - Ed & Wendy Hauser

"... I never saw any reaction...."

Sometimes the reaction can be felt but not seen by a bystander.  Sometimes a
horse reacts even when there is no problem.  A good vet will recheck to see
if the reaction is consistent before entering on the score sheet.  Of
course, sometimes there really is something wrong, but the horse stops
reacting because he/she is a good boy and has a high pain tolerance.  What I
am trying to say is, without a complete lameness workup, it is impossible to
say that the vet did or did not feel a suspensory pain reaction.  You just
have to hope the vet is consistent.  If you know how to palpate the various
tendons etc. and know how your horse typically reacts, it is easier to judge
if you should ignore a point deduction, or get your horse to your personal
vet the next Monday.

Heat is not a really good indicator of anything but that one should look
further.  I'm not surprised that it didn't happen the next day.

As far as the vet seeing lamenesses that were not apparent to others, it is
possible that the vet just has a better eye.  I don't know the NATRC score
system, but in the Midwest where I did my CTR, points are deducted on a
scale.  You can lose up to 20 points and still start, continue or finish.
(20 points equal a grade 2 lameness).  The judgment of this is done by
watching the horse straight out and back and circles both ways.

There was one vet under which we competed, who had a much more critical eye
than others.  The vet drove Wendy crazy until she understood that that vet
was very consistent. That particular vet really could see things other vets
would miss.

The whole subjectivity of a judged event tends to produce bad feelings and
inconsistencies.  It is the nature of the beast.  Those who get their
"knickers in a twist" at poor judging need to find a sport where the
criteria are objective (like endurance), or take a couple of Ludes and chill
out, assuming that it will all come out in the wash.

I solved my problems with judged events by switching to endurance and LD.
Wendy learned to chill out.

Ed
Ed & Wendy Hauser
2994 Mittower Road