Re: [RC] western saddles - Alice Yovich

I wasn't sure if this was the problem or not, but feared it was so. My English saddle has the stirrups in just the right place, so I'm very upset that my western makes me so sore. I don't know that they can be moved back, though having hte fenders shortened is supposed to help and give them more swing. I have no idea what kind of saddle this is. I mean, it's a Crate, but I don't know what style it's supposed to be. I've looked at a Martha Josey saddle that has a free swinging stirrup and looks way more balanced, but at the moment, I'm trying to do this in a budget.

My wintec dressage saddle is going to have the gullet bumped up and I'm pulling it back, possibly getting a crupper to help with placement and maybe it will be OK. I'm so much more comfortable in it! Of course, when I'm going really fast, I'm more comfortable riding western I think. I just like how my body feels so much more when I come out of my English saddle over my western.

BTw, how do you attach a crupper to a dressage saddle? I know how a little t thing that goes under the the saddle, but I wasn't sure how functional that was. Do people get extra rings put on their english saddles to help this?