Re: [RC] leg wrapping - Truman Prevatt

I've tried a lot of things. I have ice boots but they have been used more on human injuries than on my horse. They don't seem to do much for the horse and after a conversation with a good vet who said something like, "it seems everything thing that can go wrong in a horse can end up in his feet and the lower legs and feet are on the verge of suffering from insufficient circulation to start with - why would you want to use and ice boot and limit the circulation even more as prophylactic measure?"

I've ridden and traveled all over the country without any special care for the legs other than sufficient rest after a ride - don't go home the day of the ride and if there is a problem take another day to help it rest. If there are any potential issues I perfer to treat it biochemically rather than externally - i.e. a little bute.

I've never had any problems with stocking up following this simple protocol.

I do from time to time slap a little clay poultice on right after a ride - left uncovered. It probably does me more good thinking I might be helping the horse than it actually does the horse.

Truman

Ed & Wendy Hauser wrote:
What about ice boots??
?
Cooling prevents swelling, reduces inflammation etc.? The lower leg does not have muscles in it so it is unlikely that warmth will prevent stiffness the next morning.? I also have a hard time believing that a wrap will significantly "support" the tired leg and thus prevent problems, though a compression bandage can also reduce swelling.
?
Ed
Ed & Wendy Hauser
2994 Mittower Road
Victor, MT 59875
?
ranch@xxxxxxxxxxx
406.642.6490

--
Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch

?

Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote!
--Benjamin Franklin

?