[RC] Cold Weather Ridng - after care - smuncy

Just MHO re; what to do with a horse still wet/damp after riding  and weather cool;   err on side of keeping him warm rather than chilled, and put a blanket on him til he drys out and you come back out to feed. I will often do that in damp, cool / cold weather - and when I put them in to feed them later,  I will  loosen blankets and roll them back to let  horse start getting readjusted to outside temps, before turning out, after they have finished eating. If they are still wet, then leave blanketed til Am , if cold. Of note, I rarely blanket my horses  around the clock, unless the worst weather, ie. read : cold, wet, windy. Blizzard.( They are not stalled, except to eat feed )
    I was once told and find true that - horses tolerate cold fine,( down to 0 temps) it is when it is  cold and wet that really chills them easily ( say temp of just 60 when not used to and damp or wet, add any breeze and  makes it worse. I have gone out in summer,  after a thunderstorm and a 'front' has moved through, and found them chilled  ), makes sense, as the hair can not  then act as insulation when wet.
   Also, as long as they can move around, and have plenty of hay; they can  tolerate lower temps, but when confined to pens, tied, etc like we often use at rides they need a blanket,( not sheet, as they can be colder with just a sheet, as it does not offer enough warmth, and mats down their hair);  the same horse at home on pasture will not need a blanket. Hope this helps you .
    Along similair 'thread' if you ever come into vet check and ambient temp is not that high, and you start putting water on your horse and  his pulse is not comming down, one of  first thing to consider is that you are chilling him. Have seen this happen when air temps were in low 70's, low humidity.
         Riding in cool/cold weather -  Another 'rule of thumb' - if you wouldn't want water on you, because of temperature, may be best not to use much / any  on them. Just come in, loosen girth, cover them if needed with light blanket, or in this case sheet, and wait couple minutes.  Stephanie M. (VA)