Re: [RC] Camel Racing: More grist for the mill - Maryanne Stroud Gabbani

Camels are all over the place here and there. Lots of kids will be riding them as part of their daily chores. Most of them are not part of the racing scene. The USAID pdf mentioned that these races are held outside of the cities. You don't honestly think that they'd have guests around where they might see something embarassing, do you?

The disparity between the child's homelife and the workplace is a point that is hard for Americans to fathom. I have a great mechanic who has two boys roughly 11 and 8 years old working for him. I know that the schools to which these kids would go will be teaching them nothing, while Mohamed sees that they learn to read and write and are learning a skill. No question that they are better off working. Plus their families are poor and need the money to eat.

Many of these kids are kidnapped and others are sold by parents who probably can't feed the kids they have and can't pay for birth control. Life can be pretty tough.

Maryanne Stroud Gabbani
Cairo, Egypt
www.alsorat.com
http://miloflamingo.blogspot.com