Re: [RC] Torsion Saddle - Pamela DeMerchant

My horse also has a very straight back, no dip at all.  I use a Bob Marshall treeless endurance sport saddle with an extra-thick Skito pad (the thick pad keeps my back off of his spine) and Dixie Midnight pad.  My Arab cross has no soreness, stands perfectly still while I mount and I've ridden him up to 9 hours in one day.  I had to switch my rigging to "center-fire rigging" (switch out my stirrups with the girth rigging) in order to get my stirrups in a comfortable position.  I love this set-up and have no discomfort.  Maybe you can try different saddle pad/rigging/stirrup options with your current treeless saddle and see if this works for you.  Just a thought.

Pam

----- Original Message -----
Sent: Tuesday, October 19, 2004 1:10 AM
Subject: [RC] Torsion Saddle

I just completed my 3rd CTR with this saddle.  I was not able to complete with my treed saddle, all treed horse saddles seem to have a dip down the center of each side of tree and my horse has a straight back with well-sprung ribs.  These saddles rock on her back.  I found her sore right along the edge of the spine, not in the muscles on the sides.  It does have the rider directly on the horse's spine.  Great saddle for limited mileage rides unless one plans to spend a great deal of time "in the stirrups".   It will work for me temporarily until I find the right treed or paneled saddle which I prefer for CTR.

It did NOT work to put the Supracor Pad underneath the Torsion because when cinched down tightly, it pulled the pad onto her withers and gave her white spots.  One needs a thin pad underneath that can be cleaned that is cut back over the withers.

Catherine Schultz