Sent: Wednesday, October 13, 2004 2:27 PM
Subject: [RC] national championship ride, treatment, conditions, etc.

it sounds like the heat and conditions at this ride were more than some bargained for. it was really hot and humid back in may for the liberty run, which is the last ride i did.   i started two days, and didnt finish either day.   STFFC,(speed too fast for conditions)  thats what it was!   drop the temperature 20 degrees and things would have probably been fine.   reduce my ground speed and things would have probably been fine.  let me ride on flat terrain with firm footing, things would have probably been fine. now, which of these options do i have control over?  pretty easy isnt it?    it is still the rider's responsibility to take all factors into account and ride accordingly. sometimes it is not quite as easy to recognize certain things when you are sitting in the saddle. your horse may feel good to you, and look good too, but that higher temperature can just sneak up on you, and you may realize a bit too late that the same horse that was fine at a 8 1/2 mph trot a month earlier, under completely different conditions, probably needed to cut back to 5 mph for today's ride.

Do you Yahoo!?