Re: [RC] BEES !!! - Ed & Wendy Hauser

"....AWFUL itching, but thankfully am not allergic...."

Actually the itching is an allergic reaction.  The best thing to do for insect stings is to take a full dose of over the counter antihistamine.  I had a dog who reacted to stings.  Her first owner took her to a vet who hospitalized her for 2 days and (according to the former owner) saved her life many times.

I asked my vet what I should do.  He told me to give her a couple of antihistamines and she would be fine.  I did and she was.  I have used the same treatment on myself and find it kills the itching very fast.

A couple of weeks ago I rode up our creek with friends who were helping the US Forest Service by packing gear into the wilderness for a work party.  About 2 miles in when I was quite far behind the mules (Ranger did not like the banging shovels in the panniers on the last mule), the wasps struck.  Ranger was shaking, but being a good boy was very controllable until we left them behind.  I soon started to see evidence of the wreck. 6 Mules, panniers, and assorted baseball caps were scattered over a half mile of trail.  Neither mule or human were hurt, so the train reloaded and continued.  I was leading on the way down and we did not get stung, but the mules behind got it again.  Since the train was at the trot, there was no panic just mules and horses moving down the mountain at an endurance ride pace.

Ed
Ed & Wendy Hauser
2994 Mittower Road
Victor, MT 59875