Re: [RC] ?Saddle for Wide-Backed Horse? - Karla Watson

A lot of riders end up with treeless saddles because of hard to fit horses. They are not for everyone but they sure are comfortable for you and your horse. They fit wide backed horses very well. But they are more like riding bareback, so if you like that you may want to try out a treeless sports saddle.
---------Karla Watson/Portland, Oregon
----- Original Message -----
Sent: Sunday, October 10, 2004 7:08 PM
Subject: [RC] ?Saddle for Wide-Backed Horse?

I have been using a Marciente saddle on my horse.  Recently found out it rocks on her back and doesn't fit.  I tried a Supracor underneath and she was still sore and unrideable after just 25 miles.  Just bought a Corrector Pad.  It has promise but:

1.  does not give my horse any protection from the ring being up against her skin when I cinch.

2.  even with 2 mule shims in front I can still feel pressure on the center part of her back (not backbone but on the sides of it).

3.  It sits me up higher than I want even though I do like being balanced with only the front raised up higher.  I checked all 3 of my Morgans and they all are the same with ribs that spread OUT, not down, I can even see it distinctly on my 5 month old.

When looking at them, the highest point of their backs is right in that center area where most other horses dip down and where all saddles I have and have seen have a low point on the tree.

I have been told that Arabian backs are similar to Morgans so I am asking RideCamp people where there are LOTS of Arabs.  Do you have wide, table top backs and how do you handle this?  I have heard of an Arabian tree on saddles.  What does this mean?

Thanks in advance.

Catherine