[RC] Minors at Tevis - k s swigart

brncntry said about Courtney's desire to ride Tevis next year
unsponsored as a minor:

Courtney, if there is one thing horses should have
taught you, it is to be patient.  Tevis will be
waiting for you in 2006.

While it is true that Tevis will most likely be there in 2006 (not 100%
sure, but nothing is), it may also be true that Courtney will not be
anywhere near there.  For all we know, she will be graduating from high
school (she is of that age) and going off to Harvard...or the Army.  So
it may not be feasible for her to forgo it in 2005 and wait until 2006.

Consequently, there is absolutely no reason that she shouldn't (if she
wants to) make an appeal to the Tevis Board that they consider changing
their rules so she can ride it unsponsored.  She appears to have made
the appropriate effort of making a reasoned petition to the Board.

And it appears that the Board has considered the reasons for her
petition and decided (which is their task) that her reasons aren't good
enough.  It may also be that they MIGHT have considered changing their
rules for an unsponsored minor (remember, according to the AERC she is
no longer a junior and therefore no longer requires a sponsor so we are
talking about a legal minor here, not an AERC junior), but that they
wouldn't for one with as little experience as she appears to have, and
have considered it more polite to tell her, "No, we don't allow any
minors out on the trail without adult supervision." rather than telling
her, "We might have considered it for somebody with more experience than
you, but your record does not warrant it."

And judging from Roxanne's letter, the desire to NOT have to evaluate
the records of minors and tell some of them that they are too
inexperienced to be allowed out on the trail alone is part of the
Board's motivation for sticking to the "no unaccompanied minors allowed
out on the trail."

If the Board were to make rules in advance for qualifications that a
minor could have in order to forgo the requirement for sponsorship, it
is unlikely that somebody with only about 200 miles of successful
completion (and none of that in 100 mile rides) would be their cut off
point (I am willing to concede that her AERC record is not 100%
accurate, but it ain't gonna be off by enough to put her in the
"thousands of miles of experience" category).

However, there is also no reason that Courtney should not politely ask
for support from others (via her post to Ridecamp) to attempt to change
the Board's mind on their evaluation of her petition.

And there is no reason for the people of Ridecamp not to tell her that
they don't support her in this request and that the more mature thing to
do would be to accept the decision of the Tevis Board since they are
more likely to know what is appropriate for their event.

She can now decide whether she wants to see if she can garner support
from elsewhere (which as long as she does it rationally and politely,
that's okay with me), or to accept that the ruling body of Tevis has
made a decision and go find herself a sponsor or wait until she is 18.

It is entirely possible that neither of those options is feasible, in
whcih case, she will just have to not do Tevis at all, at which point
she will have learned (or have reaffirmed, since hopefully it is
something her parents taught her before now :)) the lesson that
sometimes you just don't get to have the things you want.

kat
Orange County, Calif.