[RC] Juniors and Endurance and..... - SandyDSA

Over the course of this subject, several things struck me as reality that simply cannot be discounted simply because someone has a passionate desire for something out of reach as of yet. Firstly, according to the ride records one poster added, this junior does not have the experience or credentials to be riding Tevis alone, and so her idea of what is real comes into question. Thsi is one reason why we have parents at this age:).

Secondly in such a litigous society that we live in - especially California, where no one takes personal ersponsibility for anything, they just sue, it is completely understandible that the management of Tevis does not want to take a chance, and hedge the bets that the whole of Tevis "rides" on, on the tipping of scales in this kind of an issue. I wouldn't. Even a most competent rider of ANY age, but particularly a junior wanting to compete in a venue not yet available to them, opens up a huge liability issue. It is sad, but we can thank those who have been in recent eyars quick to sue when something didn't suit them in their personal choices. I would hate to think that Tevis could be negatively impacted for years and even decades to come because one person crow-bared their desire into the system. This is why  we have management!

Htirdly, and perhaps most significantly on a personal leve, it is about time we teach our youth and children the difefrence between a right and a priviledge. Riding at ALL, having horses, competing in any discipline, shoot, driving a CAR - all these are PRIVILEDGES, not RIGHTS. Sometimes - just SOMETIMES - it pays to remember this. Most of the time, one has to earn his or her awy into it, by viture of age, experience, success, and the like. Other times, it may simply not be available to a given segment of desirous people for a while - or ever. Just as I would tell my own daughters, count your blessings that you get to take part at ALL and stop whining about what you DON'T have. Is there a possibility that COurtney will NEVER ride TEvis? Absolutely (though with her persistence, she will likely do it at the first possible moment, and I hope she is truly prepared then:)) If she NEVER rides Tevis, life goes on and she is still abundantly fortunate and blessed to even be able to ride and be with these beautiful creatures, and most likely will still be most fortunate to still be able to compete at any level.

I am reminded by this of the golfer with a handicap who pressed for "fair treatment" - and yet at the end of it all, no one really sees him as playing on that level playing field because he now has a distinct advantage over his competition (even though I never saw golf as terribly athletic, I am told that I am SO WRONG:)!). What bothered me was that, for the sake of one's own pleasure, oen would take issue with a system, more in this case than in pro golf, that is intended to both proect the riders AND the horses from injury and even death as a result of poor judgement, immaturity or lack of experience. As I tell my daughters - "how AMAZING that you, at YOUR age, can be SO MUCH SMARTER than I am! How did you DO THAT???" Patience is a good thing - that in itself is a mark of maturity.