Re: [RC] physiology & conditioning - Susan Young

So, Angie, do you give your horse off a week after a medium tough  7-hour 50-mile "race"?  I usually give 2 but that's just me.  My horses carry a LOT of weight (me).  I'm the tall "big boned" blond you met at the Central Region Convention. LOL!

In your experience, does it do an equine body good to school that second week then go back to conditioning unless there's a ride the second week?  I really watch lower legs and feet...ESPECIALLY during the season.  So, if all seems well, schooling collection or whatever suits your fancy?

I've NEVER been guilty of OVERconditioning.  Yes, the opposite is probably true.  This year has been the best for me only because Kathy Crothers guilted me into conditioning more! LOL!  I still don't ride as much between rides or during the week as she does but I'm getting better.  However, in 20 years of competition, I've not had many lower leg injuries or metabolic/lameness issues.  I'm strictly talking about "issues" caused by lack of conditioning.  Basically, I've been VERY lucky and usually ride somewhat intelligent during rides.  I think it's because I ride with Kathy and junior riders with candy! LOL!!

"rides2far@xxxxxxxx" <rides2far@xxxxxxxx> wrote:
Haste makes waste. Maybe we all have to suffer through those years off to find our we can live through a week off without it hurting us. Patience is something that is not fun to earn. You can learn it now, or learn it later.

Susan [Young], The Princess of Pink
Semper Obliquo (Always aside)

Glenndale Grace Farm, Ft Gibson, Oklahoma U.S.A.

"Ride on! Rough-shod if need be, smooth-shod if that will do, but ride on! Ride on over all obstacles, and win the race!" - Charles Dickens (1812-1870)