Re: [RC] physiology & conditioning - rides2far@xxxxxxxx

THE QUESTION: Why the extended rest?  So what is it about horses that needs
more time?  Is it tendon or leg
related? Following the "conventional wisdom" of giving least two weeks
off for each 50 miler, my horse blew a tendon in his 178'th endurance
mile.  He is fine now, although

Before I cut loose let me preface this with the statement that I damaged *my*
first endurance horse's tendon before he even did one endurance mile so I am a
reformed overtrainer.

Now let me critique your post.  You have done less than four competitions with
your horse and have already done irreparable damage and you don't understand
why your horse might need rest and want someone to encourage you in your
misconception.  If your horse "blew a tendon" he is *not* fine now. He may be
as healed as he'll ever get, but he's not as perfect as he was before you
overdid it, which is how a tendon gets damaged (been there, guilty of)

Now, why the HECK do you want to train the week after a competition. What
better training ride is there in the world than a competition? When is your
horse getting stronger? Do you think you're making him stronger WHEN you're
conditioning? You're not. That's when we do damage. Doing small amounts of
damage on conditioning rides is how we convince the horse's body that it needs
to lay down reinforcements, strengthening bones, ligaments and building muscle.
It does NOT do this DURING training. It does it on off days. If you continue to
do damage the day *after* you did a competition, when is your horse going to
get stronger? He's not, he's just gradually being weakened like a rope fraying
one strand at a time till is snaps (or blows).

A horse does not lose conditioning for about 3 weeks. I usually give one day
per 10 miles. A 50 would give 5 days minimum, probably 7. A slow 25 would just
count as a regular training ride, but if you are a LD "racer" you should
probably allow about 5 days too. I'll ride a horse a week after a 100, but I
won't compete for at least 3 and 4 makes far more sense to me.

Haste makes waste. Maybe we all have to suffer through those years off to find
our we can live through a week off without it hurting us. Patience is something
that is not fun to earn. You can learn it now, or learn it later.

Angie

Get your name as your email address.