Re: [RC] fear when mounting/dismounting - Sundaez

ok, maybe i missed something here.  what is the fear, that you will get a foot hung in the stirrup and your horse will take off?  some have already stated the potential hazards of "sliding off".   if your horse wont stand still,  that is another issue,  you have to teach them.>>

    Thanks Ed you are the only one that asked me that. I don't know what the fear is. My mare stands very nicely for mounting. I have her trained to line herself up at whatever I'm standing on...even rocks. Every time I mount though there is that moment of vulnerability when you are half on and half off. I always "what if" myself before and during mounting. I have never had an accident so not sure why. Last endurance ride was pretty emabarassing as I had three people holding her until finally someone just said "shut up and get on your horse!" I did, and had a great ride. I hate the vet checks becuse I have to go through the whole process all over again...and forget about dismounting on the trail unless there is a fence or something I can climb onto....I've been known to walk on foot quite a ways.

As for the far of Arabs, it is not becuse I think they are spooky, silly, crazy, whatever. It is because they are sensitive and so am I. I can feel their body react to things more than other breeds. I'm somewhat high stung myself in that I "spook" at loud noises, ect...by that I mean I'm flinchy....just the way I am. So....I've noticed the arabs I've ridden take note of things more so than other horses. That's not to say other horses don't notice things, but Arabs are more likley to snap their head up and look, body tense, etc. Even if they don't do anything it sort of sets me into a startle. You seem to be able to feel how an arab is feeling about things under you more....hard to explain. FWIW I have never been hurt on an arab...in fact my worse injury came from a 13 hand  twisiting bucking Icelandic.

Mel