Re: [RC] [RC] [RC] The Numbers Are Running Against Us - Howard Bramhall

ONe of the many problems with the Internet is it quite often distorts reality. Once you start attending the actual endurance rides you will discover that over 90 percent of the riders there are diehard Arabian horse owners/riders. It took me over 3 years to make this conversion but, sometimes, you just gotta give in to what works if you want to continue on in a challenging and difficult sport. In fact, at these rides, where ARabs do rule, the only disagreement amongst the owners/riders is the actual color, and, even with that, there is one shade that truly stands out.

Greys make up the majority in the Southeast, btw, but once in awhile you'll see some bays and a steel grey or two. But, count the number of flea bitten-grey Arabians at your next endurance ride and, please, someone tell me I'm wrong here when I say that's the largest number of breed/color combo you'll see that week-end. Try and find another breed or even color that exceeds the number of grey Arabian horses at an endurance ride. You may have to travel to South America or Australia to do so. As bad as my eyesight is getting as I get older, I'm purty sure I have that one right.

Arabs rule in endurance and I'm quite certain they always will. The only difference I'm seeing over the last few years is that some of them are getting taller but that's only because the Sultan's of Swing think that's the way to go and will pay big bucks for a 15H2"l, well performing Arabian horse. And, most of those, are still flea bitten greys.

cya,
Howard

----Original Message Follows---- From: "Christina McCarthy" <christina_mccarthy@xxxxxxxxxxx> To: tprevatt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx, lif@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx CC: ridecamp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx Subject: Re: [RC] [RC] The Numbers Are Running Against Us Date: Sat, 02 Oct 2004 09:38:00 -0400

I have to say that this thread has become quite disturbing. As a newbie, and brand new 100% papered/registered Arabian owner, I cannot understand why anyone would be so negative about the Arabian Breed. Personally, I researched breeders of Arabian Endurance horses and made my decision to purchase based on my findings and location. The ultimate horse I chose suited my personality and I am looking forward to next year when we can compete. If it turns out he is NOT endurance material (and his breeding would NOT suggest this..nor would his personality), I will use him for trail rides and fun stuff....as my companion horse. I have always Loved the Arabian breed, the horses are loyal, full of heart, and great friends. Yes they can be "hot" and sometimes "spooky", but they also have spirit and will take care of you in emergencies. I guess that's why so many breeds have Arabian blood infused in them.
You get what you pay for, my horse was 5K.........so I am not surprised to see horses going for less than that...especially if they are NOT registered, or have the background breeding and personality to support a higher selling price. I think it is also regional, demand does command price, and some areas are less supportive of higher prices.
If I was experienced enough, I would most certainly try to be involved with mentoring and promoting the Arabian breed in general. Perhaps I like the "spice" Arabians add to my life!
Thanks for listening, I will get off the soap box now :)

Chris & JJ ( Yay)