[RC] re: Utah and other mountain states - Mary Orosz

I was originally from Cleveland and the weather in Cleveland is worse.  Yes we have snow and it does go below freezing.  I ride all winter and love riding in the snow. I would say December and January are the worst months, but I am still able to ride.  We do not have high humidity so the snow or the summers are not as bad.  Cleveland was cold and humid!  Yuck!  The only thing I have bad to say is that we don’t have the sunny Colorado-like winter days.  We do see a lot of clouds.

We have many, many Californians that have been moving here.  In fact, I would say that California is where most people here have moved from.  I hate to say it, but Californians have gotten a bad rep here.  Most newcomers change there California license plates over to Idaho ones right away so that no one knows they came from California.  Most people stay although some don’t like snow and leave. I think in the early 90’s there was a big exodus from California to Idaho – prices went up. Then we experience a not-normal bad winter. Because of this, in the next couple years, house prices dropped because of the ones moving back to California. Some years we hardly have any snow and other years it stays on the ground for a couple months.  I like riding in the snow, but won’t risk riding on the nasty frozen bare dirt, but then when there is no snow, I can ride in my outdoor arena or on the roads.  The one thing I really like about it here is the stress level – very low.  We joke about being on “Idaho” time.  Even fast food is slow.  Takes about a year to get used to but when you do it is great.

What I really like about it here is the abundance of places to trailer my horses to.  It is hard to decide where to go.  The thing I don’t like is that there are not may endurance or CTR rides nearby – southern Idaho seems to have them all.

In case you haven’t noticed, I love it here.  No more Cleveland and city life for me!

- Mary