[RC] Arab/Pasos or Arab mule opinions - Mel Copeland

Boy, all of this talk about crosses got my wheels turning...

First of all I just found out that I won a free breeding to a nice Paso Fino stallion. They only mare I have that is breedable is an Arab. My paso friends frown on crossbreeding with the exception of one who knows my mare and my endurance interests and wonders why I would lease a Paso mare when crossing my Arab with the Paso could make a really nice endurance horse. She thinks it is a nice cross and could care less about what others think. The stallion is a son of a famous fino horse and is himself a performance type show horse. (you paso folks know what I am talking about).

This free breeding I won has rendered my plans for breeding my mare to my "dream" stallion since I would either be breeding her to the stallion, or using my "dream" stud fee money to pay for a lease on a paso fino mare.

If crossing an Arab with a Spanish horse is a good idea then would an Andy be a better cross than the Paso Fino?

On another cross breeding note, I noticed that the people across the street have leased their pasture to a family of mammoth jacks. They are gorgeous creatures and that made me start thinking about Arabian mules. My "cowboy" friends said someone would have to be crazy to breed that...you can imagine their reasons...but wouldn't an Arab mule be perfect for the mule riding endurance people?

You guys set me straight on this one!

Mel

Check out Election 2004 for up-to-date election news, plus voter tools and more! http://special.msn.com/msn/election2004.armx