Re: [RC] Cancer? - B. L. Kossowan

Hello ridecampers:

Early this morning, I inspected the scar from 18" incision left on my two-year-old prospect's rib cage after the removal three weeks ago of a lump that had grown to baseball size. I can only say that, after this experience, I will gladly spend the money for a biopsy at the first sign of a growth. This particular cyst, we have learned, started from a trauma under the skin, probably from a parasite or insect bite that her body had attempted to wall off. As the lump grew, one of the lymph nodes in her flank began to enlarge as a result of its efforts to fight off the original invasion. Fortunately, the lump did not affect the muscle and contained no cancerous cells. After $800 (CDN) in surgery and followups, along with a lot more handling than my youngsters normally experience, I have a healthy filly who has learned not to kick or bite when people pay extra attention to parts she would rather have left alone.
If I have learned one thing from this episode, it is that not all lumps are created equal and early diagnosis can save a great deal of money and heartbreak - especially considering that my husband and I had contemplated putting our only sweepstakes nominated filly down if she could not look forward to a happy, healthy existence.
I encourage anyone who sees mysterious lumps develop on their horses to consult a vet as soon as possible to determine exactly what they're dealing with. As an aside, I have a close friend who has successfully treated small sarcoids with topical applications of garlic oil. Fool that I am, I let Mariah's lump go too long because we were so very short of money this summer. Ultimately, it would have been much cheaper and less traumatic to have dealt with the problem earlier, when it first started to show.
In a similar vein, I feel very grateful to the wonderful crew of equine practitioners available to us in Central Alberta. They are a treasure.

Brenda K.