Re: [RC] Future of Arabian horses - heidi

I am not up to date on the 'numbers' BUT having tried the 'grow your
arabian' route, it is not surprising to hear the discussion about
numbers of Arabians decreasing.  The math just doesn't work in the favor
of the small breeder.

Some of the reasons as I see it:

1.  Cost of registration

Keep in mind that you get what you pay for.  Realize that Arabian
registrations include the cost of parentage verification--currently done
by DNA typing.  Other breeds only do parentage verification if there is a
questionable situation, and their fees are comparable to the AHA's fees.
(In fact, the AHA's adult registration is cheaper than most breeds--and
AHA also periodically offers half-price adult "amnesty" programs.)
Personally, I appreciate knowing that the horse I am buying really is who
it says he is on the papers, and that is what I get with parentage
verification.  Furthermore, paying $100 once in a horse's life is such a
drop in the bucket that this complaint is a non-starter, as far as I'm
concerned.

2.  Lack of ordinary and affordable shows for showing

The show ring is NOT the be-all and end-all!  A great many horses are
promoted successfully without ever once setting foot in a show ring.  I
agree that an affordable show system would be nice--but remember that the
#1 use of the Arabian breed is distance riding, with Class A shows and
open shows coming in neck and neck in 2nd and 3rd.

3.  Politics in the show ring affecting the novice negatively.

This is true.  Unfortunately, the show ring with its inevitable politics
is what is "on the marquee" so to speak, and it gives the breed a bad rep.

4.  Sale prices are directly related to the politics.

In terms of the inflated prices for show horses, yes.  Not sure this is as
much of a big deal with the mid-priced riding horses.

5.  In TX, only endurance riders and a few show people have Arabians.

Well, I'm not in Texas, so I can't say.  But yes, there IS a problem with
public perception of the breed for just plain good family riding horses.
The breed used to be highly sought after and valued for just that--and it
is the spaced-out greased-up critter flailing around the ring that has put
people off to buying the breed to simply enjoy.  Given the sorts of
pictures touted in breed magazines, if YOU were a dad, would YOU buy that
for YOUR daughter?  Not an icicle's chance in hell.

6.
 Arabians ARE more sensitive and hence more flighty than Qtr horses
which are the 'all time favorite' for the ordinary noncompeting rider.

I beg to differ here.  Having worked extensively on QHs and APHAs in
veterinary practice, I'll take Arabs any day.  They are far more
reasoning, most times, and far more interested in general in doing what
their human wants.  More sensitive, yes.  But coupled with their
incredible willingness, it does not necessarily follow that they are more
flighty.  Just had the experience this morning of loading a 4-year-old
gelding who has had next to no handling, and has not been in a trailer
since he was a weanling.  Took about 7-8 minutes--his mind was "forward"
the entire time, trying to discern what I wanted and if it was "safe" in
there--and clearly wanting to oblige, despite his lack of familiarity with
the situation.  Once he got in, there was no concern whatsoever about the
clunking noise--he stood calmly, curious about the hay net, went right to
eating, and that was that.  No fight, no fuss, no bother.  Had he had more
prior handling so that that wasn't new as well, it would have taken far
less time.  And that has been the "typical" approach I've found with
classical Arabs to most anything.

7.  Cost of keeping the expensive horse is expensive:  ie special barns,
special riding instructors,  special saddles, special tack, etc

Huh?  Our Arabs are outside 24/7, we don't even HAVE a barn (just
windbreaks), they eat less and require less supplementation than any other
breed I've dealt with, they require minimal vet care as they tend not to
get hurt or sick very often, and because we pay attention to back
conformation, they usually can wear "off-the-rack" saddles with no
difficulty.  Of course, you can spend a fortune on them if you want--but
you don't HAVE to to keep them healthy, happy, and functional.

8.
Average Arab is not 'hefty' and henc the average person over 66 inches
considers them too fine boned and not tall enough.  Hence, the quest to
build the taller Arab.

Two things here.  One, you do have a point that the substance has been
bred out of much of the "popular" end of the breed.  Two, the
"consideration" by larger people is a perception issue, not a horse issue.
Granted, it may limit one's market to those who know better--but I'd
rather sell to folks who understand what the horses can do anyway.

9.  Main profit seems to be from buying them
cheap, training them to accept riders and then resale.  I recently
bought a half arab for $400 as a 2 yr old.  Back in 1980, a half Arab
was $800.  Do the math.  With only established farms being able to take
a farm deduction, a horse seems to be a beautiful animal with 4 hooves
and a month into which one pours money with a negative balance occuring.

Agreed that the breeders SHOULD be able to make a profit--but I would also
submit that there is more to being a breeder than the quest for profit.

  10.  The world is becoming less country and more city.

Agreed--and this is apt to cut horse numbers over time anyway.  Actually,
it is fine with me that Arabians are not the "popular" breed--as others
have pointed out, popularity leads to overproduction of mediocrity in too
many cases.  Less popularity makes people think a bit more before filling
the "empty uterus" with the handy semen in the backyard down the road
without giving thought as to what the baby is apt to be and what will
become of it.

11.  Where is the next generation of horse people?  Who will continue?

That is perhaps my biggest worry as a breeder.

12.  With some many of us so busy working and trying to stay afloat, it
is hard to do much campaigning.

True--but it has always been thus...  That's just life...  <sigh>

Heidi