[RC] Manzanita ride story - We did it! (long) - Jena Williams

Hi all. I just have to share our news. My husband Donnie, his horse Sancho, my horse Temba and I participated in Manzaniat LD this weekend. Donnie and I have tried this before, and failed. We did not know that Donnie's horse injured himself in the trailer on the way to our last ride in May and we had to pull (stop) after about 20 of the 25 miles. My friend Lynda and I had tried in March on Temba and Sancho. We finished but went over the alloted time of 6 hours.

So by now Donnie and I are hungry, we really wanted to finish this one! Donnie worked very hard to get Sancho in good shape for the ride. We were nervous though. Was Sancho ready? Was I ready?? I injured a groin muscle in July and took a couple months off riding to let it heal. Even though it still bothered me I had to get back in the saddle and rebuild my strength and endurance to prepare for this ride. We even trailered out to the ride area the weekend before to explore the area and get the horses and ourselves comfortable with the terrain.

We packed the truck and trailer up Thursday night so we could leave as soon as Donnie could get home on Friday. You must present your horse for the pre-ride vet check between 2 and 6pm, and the camp sites were first-come-first-serve. I wanted to get there as early as possible. Luckily we did not have to go far, an hour drive to the southeast. Donnie was home early and we were on the road by 2pm (yeah!).

We arrived around 3:30, after stopping for food and gas, and found a really nice camp site in the shade of beautiful oak trees near the center of activity. We had paid extra so the horses could have pipe stalls, and not have to be tied to the trailer all night. We even brought our own water from home, to make sure they were not put off from drinking by "strange" water (yes, it happens). We settled them in their stall, and checked in with ride management. This was a large ride. 45 entries in the 50 mile ride, 87 in the 25, 20+ in the 15 mile fun ride, and 10 or so in the ride and tie (that is a hard sport! 2 riders/runners and 1 horse). You need a large camp for 150+ horses, riders and families!

The friday before a ride is a busy time as people come from all over. After settling the horses, we set up our "camp". Bored, we saddled the horses and went for a ride to let the horses strecth their muscles and to better explore/observe the rest of camp. It passed the time, though we didn't find anyone we knew. There were simply too many people there. I love walking around and looking at all the different rigs and horses. Most are arabians, but we saw gaited horses, quarter horses, mustangs, pintos/paints, and a mule or two. The camp was full of tents, RV's, big fancy trailers with living quarters, trucks with campers, and a few beat up rigs (like ours!) that look like they barely made it there. After the ride meeting we drove down the rode to a wonderful little resturaunt and had a dinner. What a wonderful way to start the weekend.

Donnie and I did not sleep well. Between anxiety and the air mattress in the back of the truck going flat, rest was elusive. Since the 50 mile ride started at 6:30am the camp began stirring around 5:30. This is a luxurious ride, with management providing coffee and donuts in the morning. Our ride start of 7:30 crept up on us quickly, but we were ready and at the start a couple of minutes early. The horses were very excited. It is hard to blame them with that many other horses milling around. This ride was going to have a controlled start, meaning the pace would be set by a point rider for a certain distance. This is usually done when there are hazards or dangerous trail in the beginning of the ride. The horses are all very excited, and someone could easily be injured in such situations. In our case, there was a large wash close to the beginning, and the management wanted to make sure that the horses were past there before opening up to burn off steam.

We started near the begnning. We had decided to keep what we thought would be a "middle of the pack" pace, but would rather be passed than have to pass a bunch of people to maintain our pace. Sancho became quite upset when the front riders let loose and took off. Donnie is such a good rider! I would have been cursing or falling had my horse done the rearing/bucking spinning and cantering-in-place. Once the front runners were out of sight, Donnie settled him into a nice trot and we were on our way.

Temba and Sancho are very different horses. Temba is a grade Arab that we picked up at the auction. He has a big trot and can move out rather quickly. Hills do not seem to slow him down much, and he has literally (and figuratively) a huge heart with a low resting heart rate. He is made for this sport. Sancho is a mutt that we picked up through the recycler classifieds for $400. We were told he is Tennesee Walker and Peruvian Paso. He is is a beautiful mover, very collected and smooth. However he is slower and gets tired more easily. We have seen him become exhausted trying to keep up with Temba. So our strategy was to let Donnie and Sancho set the pace, with Temba only leading when Sancho got lazy.

This strategy seemed to work wonderfully. Donnie is braver than I am and would trot over ground when I would probably slowed down. So we trotted and trotted and trotted. It wasn't a fast trot, only about 8mph, but he kept us going uphill, downhill, over rocks, through the sand, over motorcycle whoop-de-doos, and twisting through single track trails in the brush. As a result, we arrived at the vet check at 9:15. We had ridden 14 miles in an hour and 45 minutes!

We immediately offered the horses water, and began cooling Sancho. This vet check had a 30 minute hold, and your horse must meet a pulse criteria of no more than 60 beats per minute before your 30 minutes begin. The horse must also be checked by the vet and deemed "fit to continue". Sancho has a more difficult time pulsing down, so Donnie and I poured water on his neck and chest to cool him off. Temba was well within criteria when I called for "P&R" (pulse and resperation), but Sancho was still at 61bpm. Back to the water tank, more water poured on. 3 minutes later he was down and we had our "out time"; our 30 minute hold had begun. Now we took turns holding the horses while they ate so the other could use the restroom. We refilled our water bottles, and grabbed some of the fruit provided for the riders. I hadn't eaten since we left base camp, and I needed it! It is also hard to drink when trotting over rough terrain. Both horses passed the vet check, and it was time to go! Wow, it goes so fast.

On the way out I asked the timer how many riders were in front of us. only 10! It didn't change anything. Donnie I were excited, but we had our strategy and we were sticking to it. Neither one of us wanted to push the horses just to "compete". Sancho led on the way out, but had definitely slowed down. It wasn't long before Temba and took the lead to keep us going. Donnie had the GPS, and he would yell at me to slow down when Temba started going too fast. Temba has a good working trot of about 9-11mph, with a "big" trot of closer to 14. But the trot that Sancho can maintain for a distance is only around 7mph. After a while Temba figured out the routine. He would trot out where he was comfortable (9+mph) but when he got a bit ahead he would slow way down and let Sancho catch up. I thought it was funny. The second loop seemed to have more hills, and our speed slowed quite a bit. Finally, we saw a sign that said 5 miles to go. I was sooo happy! The horses picked up on our enthusiasm and we moved out faster than we had all day. With such a short way to go, I didn't try to slow Temba down, but just let him trot out as big as he wanted. About a quarter mile from the finish Donnie and I dismounted and walked them in. Your finish time is based on when the horses meet pulse criteria, not when you cross the line. We were passed by a couple of people while we walked. Didn't matter. This was how we wanted to handle it.

Of course the first thing we did when we entered the vet check and finish area, was offer water. Donnie began pouring water on Sancho. I felt for Temba's pulse, and called for P&R. Our finish time of 11:13. The timer asked me if we wanted to show for best condition. What?!? Only the first 10 riders in could show for BC. We had come in 9th! Others that had passed us were still waiting for their horse's pulse to come down. Sancho came down right after us with a finish at 11:16; 10th place! We had made the top ten finishers without even trying to! WOW!

Now we had to hustle again. Within 10 minutes of our completion we had to present to the vets for a "CRI" (cardiac recovery index). The horses pulse is taken, then they are trotted 250 feet, and the pulse taken again 60 seconds after the first pulse. It gives the vets an idea of the horses fitness and level of fatigue by how quickly they recover. Temba had an initial pulse of 40, and a second of 36. WOW! That was great. Sancho was a 44, and 52. Not bad. Next we had to strip off the saddles/bags and weigh in. The weight of the rider and tack is calculated into the best condition score, with the lighter weights having points deducted. Then, within one hour of our completion we had to present the horses for a more thorough vet exam and scoring. So we hurried on back to our stalls to feed and clean the horses up, and maybe grab some lunch for ourselves.

Again the time went quickly, and by the time we were done cleaning the horses up and inhaling sandwiches it was time to present. The vets examine the horses for hydration, check for injuries (including saddle sores, etc) watch the horses trot out to check for soundness and observe overall attitute. Temba was all "A's" with one A- on something (can't remember, gums maybe?) Donnie trotted him out for me, I was definitely not "fit to continue" LOL, and would not have presented Temba well. Sancho looked tired, but well. He got all A's, except he had some swelling from the girth maybe being too tight. We did not get to see the horses that finished in front of us.

We finished! We did it so quickly that now we had nothing to do all afternoon while we waited for the ride dinner and awards. So we napped, snacked, drank a couple of beers, watched the horses eat, showered, and watched the 50 milers race in. The first 50 finished 1 hour behind us. I can't even imagine!

Dinner was wonderful! They brought in a caterer that had a big BBQ set up on a trailer. There was tri-tip beef and marinated chicken, salads, rice and bread. This was followed up by cake. YUM! The awards began as soon as the last 50 miler came in.

Everyone that completed on time recieved a completion award. You had a choice of a t-shirt or personalized lead rope. They began with the 15 mile fun ride, and then the 25's. The 25's were called in order of finish. Donnie and I were very proud to have finished 9th and 10th out of 75 total finishers/87 starters. Then came the annoucement of Best Condition..... Temba won!!!! EEEEEEEeeee!!! I couldn't believe it! We won Best Condition on our fist completion! WOW! I am still blown away.

We stayed for the 50 awards, then packed up and came home. We were all tired, and the farm was waiting for us. Donnie and I slept wonderfully, and the horses seemed happy to be eating in their home stalls. Of course this ride really threw our plans for the ride season out of whack. I figured we would do 25's at least until spring, and then look for an easy 50. But the first comment from those around when we were awarded BC, was "Well, looks like it it time to move up to a 50..." I know Temba and Donnie can do it, but are Sancho and I ready? Switching horses and riding in different catagories is not really an option. We do this together. I don't think I would do as well riding without Donnie, and Sancho wouldn't do as well without Temba. So we will stick together and ride what we can as a team.

Thanks for listening to me babble. And thanks to the ride management for putting on an excellent ride. And thank you most of all to Temba and Sancho, we couldn't be prouder of you!

Jena & Temba
Donnie & Sancho
Poway, CA