Re: [RC] The Numbers are Against Us - Dana B.

Truman wrote:

Trying to ride together cross breed just didn't seem to work. So I don't
do it any more. In fact I usually ride alone even when I'm on an Arab -
it's just easier.

I love to ride alone, but I don't do it to avoid gaited horses.  As a matter of fact, I have gaited horses as well as our 'token' (but ever so lovely) Arab.  I routinely ride our Arab with Paso Finos, Peruvians, TWH, TB and QH.  The only ones I go nuts with are the v-e-r-y slow QHs, otherwise we just adjust our gait.  We sometimes do the walk-jog-walk-jog thing, but I notice that our Arab is developing a bigger walk and a smoother jog because of it.  When she goes into her big trot, then the gaiteds have to work harder but they do ok.  As a matter of fact, we just did an LD with our Peruvian friend.  The horses seem to work things out, and I don't mind being flexible to ride with friends.

Sometimes I combine the two, and do a first loop with pals and then do a second loop by ourselves, but that's more a function of me wanting more time/miles.  But gaited and trotting horses can definitely ride together, it just takes flexibility by both.  And I think it's great training for the Arabs as I can't tell you how many times I've heard at CTRs "my horse is afraid of/freaked out by gaited horses."

Dana Baldwin

ddbpaso@xxxxxxxxx