Re: [RC] [RC] The Numbers Are Running Against Us - Truman Prevatt

You can divide trail riders into a few categories. First is the QH crew that think a 10 mile all day ride is the cat's meow. Then there is the walker crew that tend to move much faster than the QH's but a little slower than a trot of a trotting horse such as a saddlebred, Arab, TB, etc.

Trying to ride and intermix these paces usually leads to frustration for all - which is the main reason I ride alone. I used to try. With my walker an Arab would have to jog to keep up with her walk, but the trot would be a little faster than her walk. Then I would throw her into an easly lope which would be faster than the trot but slower than the trotting horse canter. Then I'd throw her into a canter and she would be faster than the trotting horse canter. We'd usually end up in a full gallop where I would say bye- bye (the TB blood in some walkers - especially mine - is quite strong).

Trying to ride together cross breed just didn't seem to work. So I don't do it any more. In fact I usually ride alone even when I'm on an Arab - it's just easier.

Truman

Howard Bramhall wrote:
It certainly is regional.  When I ride up in Tennessee, this group of riders I have been hanging out with up there all ride Tennessee Walkers.  I'm the only one on an Arabian horse.  For endurance riders, our trail riding might be a little boring (we do a lot of walking), but, considering the climbing,  descending and all of those rocks in those mountains, well, it's rare to be able to canter.

I don't argue breeds with these folks.  It's quite obvious to me they have already made up their minds and I'm having difficulty selling them endurance although I'm hoping to be able to get a few to witness Biltmore since it's close to where they live.  For them, the Walker is the best, and since my Arabs have to walk/trot (a little)/walk/trot (a little) to keep up with them, they're all kinda wondering what is so darn hot about Arabs anyway.  "Your horse don't walk fast at all," one of them said to me.  Actually, the more I ride with these people, the better he's getting.

It's only when I take the lead on the trail where I can show them what my horse can do.  But, the funny thing is, when my Arab and I get way ahead of the pack after awhile we end up waiting for them to catch up to us.  "Don't those horses have any other gait?"  I say to myself.  I end up putting my horse at the rear of the line since our running ahead seems to be a bit rude (hey, I'm the new guy here, don't want them to catch on to that aspect of my personality the very first day).

Darn right it's regional, in fact, it's a state thing.  And, in eastern Tennessee and the western mountains of North Carolina, Walkers rule.  I doubt if me moving there will change a thing but if I can get a few of them to the Biltmore (and, hopefully not have any horses on bags that paticular day) we might get some more Walkers into the sport.  I doubt if any of them will change their minds about breeding.

cya,
Howard

--
"It is necessary to be noble, and yet take humility as a basis

   "It is necessary to be noble, and yet take humility as a basis.

    It is necessary to be exalted, and yet take modesty as a foundation."