From: "Howard Bramhall" <howard9732@xxxxxxx>
To: <ridecamp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Saturday, October 02, 2004 11:07 AM
Subject: Re: [RC] [RC] The Numbers Are Running Against Us

It certainly is regional.  When I ride up in Tennessee, this group of
riders
I have been hanging out with up there all ride Tennessee Walkers.  I'm the
only one on an Arabian horse.  For endurance riders, our trail riding
might
be a little boring (we do a lot of walking), but, considering the
climbing,
descending and all of those rocks in those mountains, well, it's rare to
be
able to canter.

I don't argue breeds with these folks.  It's quite obvious to me they have
already made up their minds and I'm having difficulty selling them
endurance
although I'm hoping to be able to get a few to witness Biltmore since it's
close to where they live.  For them, the Walker is the best, and since my
Arabs have to walk/trot (a little)/walk/trot (a little) to keep up with
them, they're all kinda wondering what is so darn hot about Arabs anyway.
"Your horse don't walk fast at all," one of them said to me.  Actually,
the
more I ride with these people, the better he's getting.

It's only when I take the lead on the trail where I can show them what my
horse can do.  But, the funny thing is, when my Arab and I get way ahead
of
the pack after awhile we end up waiting for them to catch up to us.
"Don't
those horses have any other gait?"  I say to myself.  I end up putting my
horse at the rear of the line since our running ahead seems to be a bit
rude
(hey, I'm the new guy here, don't want them to catch on to that aspect of
my
personality the very first day).

Darn right it's regional, in fact, it's a state thing.  And, in eastern
Tennessee and the western mountains of North Carolina, Walkers rule.  I
doubt if me moving there will change a thing but if I can get a few of
them
to the Biltmore (and, hopefully not have any horses on bags that paticular
day) we might get some more Walkers into the sport.  I doubt if any of
them
will change their minds about breeding.

cya,
Howard