[RC] Mt St. Helens - Julie Fuller

Well, since Heidi isn't up yet, *grin* Here's the latest on our volcano.

<x-tad-smaller>The earthquakes started Sept. 23 and grew steadily stronger, finally reaching a magnitude of 3.3 Thursday and Friday. After the eruption, they stopped for several hours, said Wynn, of the U.S. Geological Survey.

Then, the tremors resumed, hitting a one-per-minute pace, said Bill Steele at the University of Washington seismic laboratory. A couple exceeded magnitude 2.

A few more steam explosions are likely, Steele said, "until enough debris is cleared, and then there is a significant chance that lava could be extruded at the surface."

Tom Pierson, a USGS geologist, said officials will monitor the site "on a very intense scale until we can determine that the thing has really gone back to sleep."
</x-tad-smaller>

So, there you have it. Nothing to worry about, IMO. But then, I was here during the big blast, so a little ash and steam sure doesn't bother me. It's really cool that they've gotten so much better at predicting this stuff, and preparing for it. And, the way the crater is shaped and the direction it faces pretty much ensures any major eruption will go away from populated areas... except for the wind pushing ash around.

Julie
Washougal, Washington