Re: [RC] keep it simple - Truman

Actually that is pretty much what some of these feeds tend to do. I don't use Ultima, but it is balanced with vit's/minerals, fiber ( beet pulp ) and fat so that you only have to feed one concentrate along with grass and hay, rather than mix your own.

Since I've started with XTN I don't mess with anything else - except Se since FL soil has none in it- except grass and hay. It makes life a lot easier.

I suspect the "certified dealier" is nothing more than marketing hype to sell it. I suspect it takes a modern mill to produce it and they can't produce it in sufficient amounts yet. You bet you bibby you can find it in Ocala, FL and Lexington, KY - why they hook the race horse community they got big bucks coming in. The Sundowner dealier in Ocala also handles Purina feed. He has Ultima. I asked him about this training bit to sell it when I was up there picking up a part for my trailer not long ago. He said the only training they got was they got a product sheet and guidelines just like they had for all the feeds. Believe me Purina is a company in business to make money selling feed. If they could produce enough every dealier would have it.

Truman

DreamWeaver wrote:

I think in the beginning I tried too hard. In reality, what I have found thru a lot of trail and error is that less is usually best. Like Ed said -- the KISS method. I think that we do too much and think we have to do some things that we really don't need to do, like feeding high $ feeds, or adding this and that. I now know if I am bringing along a young horse and he isn't keeping weight that there are other ways to correct the problem than to simply shove every kind of fancy new feed and supplement at him. It is very seldom the horses fault. (for whatever problem we, the human---has caused)

Karen
in NV