Re: [RC] removing manure from paddocks serious business! - Julie Fuller

Okay guys, you're making this WAY too high tech.

Get a pony.... prefferably a free one... foundered/mean/skinny/fat/ugly/old. Get it's feet trimmed. Find yourself a horse collar and hames at a junk store. Doesn't have to be in great shape. Get a good pad for it. (Or stuff a pillow in there somewheres.) Attach ropes to hames, making them long enough to clear the ponies hind feet, After you've done the next step.. (Or, if he's mean, and you feel spiteful, make 'em just an inch too short) Make loops in the ends of the ropes, tie a 4x4 or t-post or whatever you've got handy for a singletree.

Get yourself a 55 gallon plastic drum, cut it in half lengthwise, tie the two haves together on one side with rope loops. Put rope loop handles on the ends. A dehorning iron works great for making the rope holes. Figure out a way to attach this contraption to the center of your singletree. (We use a rope run through two holes on one side of one barrel, then hook it to a ring on the singletree) At no time are you to make a trip to the hardware store! Use whatever crap is laying around waiting for you to discover it with the lawn mower. (Or, take something out of your complaining neighor's SUV)

Shovel manure and dirt into the barrel halves. Lead the pony to where you want to dump the shit, and flip each half over in turn.(If you're on the wimpy side, put snaps on the ropes tying the two halves together so you can unsnap each half for flipping) Or if you're tough, flip both. We used to clean stalls like this, and with two of us, we could easly flip four halves loaded with a shitload of shit. We did it this way for years, and I still use a skid and pony for lots of odd jobs around here. This is also a great way to break ponies to drive. We used to pull through the barn alley, stop the skid in front of the door, and pitch like crazy while the pony stood there. (We did have to tie her at first) Then we'd go dump, and do it again. We could strip five 12x12 boxstalls in about 30 minutes. (we bedded with straw then, and stripped once a week. Our horses were only in at night)

Ponies are way cheaper than tractors, lawn mowers, and ATV's, and will do everything these machines do. And they double as endurance horses on occasion. *grin* They should make a nice tax write-off, they live forever, they can hide in small places during hurricanes, they don't have far to fall in an earthquake, they never need expensive grain, and most of them are smart enough to stomp on rattlesnakes.

Julie