Re: [RC] CA earthquake - Lif Strand

At 09:16 PM 9/28/2004, Dyane Smith wrote:
Lif, do you know why they call your town "burned"?

Several theories, one of which is that Geronimo, in his wide travels, burned the original town down. The nearest fort that I know of was about 45 miles south of Quemado, and about 25 miles west (very near me) is one of the old north/south trade routes from Mexico to pueblo country. In my readings I haven't come across anything definitive that says Geronimo did burn down the town but Mangas Colorado was up in this area. Mangas Colorado had a good grudge against the whites, so it's possible that Quemado did get burned down by one disgruntled Apache or another.

   Lif Strand      fasterhorses.com
           Quemado NM USA
High Country Rider:  An endurance rider's journal
   www.fasterhorses.com/highcountryrider/