Re: [RC] elevator ride thoughts - Susan Young

I can see the first thought about not knowing the competition.  I don't think that's much of a reason not to award points but I can see the reasoning.

However,  on weight division points, a rider isn't IN the top 10 necessarily.  There have been a few times when the top HW was 11th when the field was bunched up.  It is feasible for any rider to place well back in the pack and still get bonus points in her/his weight division (I usually count on that!).

However, your second reason brings to mind the very reason we discourage "racing" in the LD division.  In the elevator rides, if a rider isn't for sure about the horse, they have no business "racing" and should be discouraged from doing so.

I guess not awarding bonus points is a way of discouraging riders from elevating as a habit.  The elevator ride is to incourage a rider to move up and see if the horse (and rider) is in condition to do the longer distance.  Once the horse and rider have done the longer distance, they would enter that distance the next time.

OK...I'm satisfied now.  Thanks Louise.

Louise gives real nice plaques for first time 50 milers at her Movin On Up ride.  That's an excellent way to award someone for her/his accomplishment!

LOUISE BURTON <firedancefarms@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Two reasons:
One reason that wt division, top ten points are not given is that it could make for unfair competition.  A 50 mile rider would not have any way of knowing whether the elevator person is acutally competing with him/her or not.
Another reason is the thought that if you don't know "if you can do" a 50, you don't have any business in the top ten!
Pretty good reasons, IMO.
Louise Burton
Firedance Farms Arabians
OK

Susan [Young], The Princess of Pink
Semper Obliquo (Always aside)

Glenndale Grace Farm, Ft Gibson, Oklahoma U.S.A.

"Ride on! Rough-shod if need be, smooth-shod if that will do, but ride on! Ride on over all obstacles, and win the race!" - Charles Dickens (1812-1870)