RE: [RC] [RC] re: First 50 - Howard Bramhall

And, once you feel it, no matter what the distance, no matter what the equestrian activity, you will never forget it and will want to relive it every chance you get. This is why endurance is so darn addicting.

I remember feeling that way once, not during an endurance ride, but, just simply doing a training ride out on the trail. After traveling for about an hour or so, my horse and I suddenly found ourselves, during a canter while leaning into a blind curve on the trail, face to face with a big ole male Black bear (yes, they do have them down here in Hurricane Country). We were traveling at a speed and in a direction where my reactions just could not match those natural ones of my horse. He did an incredible U-Turn, somehow I hung on, and we ran and ran and ran, for dear life. That bear had stood up right in front of us, blocking the trail, and was the biggest one I had ever seen down here. The horse did what nature intended him to do and my life was now under the control of my steed's magically quick hooves.

After hauling a mile or so (maybe more), we slowed down and finally started walking, with me nervously looking behind us, the horse ready to bolt again with just a whisper, hoping to not ever see that bear again. I finally got the courage to get down and I had to hug my horse, apologizing for getting us into that situation and thanking him for knowing exactly what to do. I laughed, I cried and it was such a thrill to be there, just me and this incredible creature, having experienced an adventure together, one where you realize how magnificent this world can be. Those moments of bonding, when life is hanging on the line, they run incredibly deep.

Bears, gators, snakes, rednecks, nakid wimmen (I wish), they will never deter me from reliving the adventure life on the trail will throw your way while navigating on the back of a horse. The horse is the coolest creature on this planet and once you discover that fact you will want to spend every possible moment you have left on this earth with him. Thow in a couple of dogs and a six pack of beer and I do believe you will find Paradise (even The Paradise Lost version down here in Florida).

Don't need any AC (except for July and August), don't need any food (beer is food), don't even need ice. Just don't take away my horse, for, without him, I would truly die. To ride is to live, to live is to ride.

cya,
Howard (I know I don't write as well as Julie, but, for some reason, I still try)

----Original Message Follows---- From: Ridecamp Guest <guest-owner@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> To: <ridecamp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> Subject: [RC] re: First 50 Date: Mon, 27 Sep 2004 23:26:37 GMT

Please Reply to: Nicole z_arabs@xxxxxxxxx or ridecamp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

>> Julie, thanks for that....

And thank you Jim for sharing that.  Of course, that's how I felt
after my first 50!  So, that's what I mean about not being able
to imagine what it's like after a 100.  I can't imagine being
even MORE proud of my horse than I was that day.  The joy and love
are something Julie did a great job of describing, but it's still
something that must be felt oneself to really appreciate. :)

~Nicole