[RC] Pudgy Pony - Julie Fuller

Beccy,

As someone who has rescued many ponies over the years, I feel I am qualified to answer this one.

First off, is the pony with the horse, or separate? I am going to assume they are together.

How much hay are you feeding?

If salt consumption is an issue, (and I myself feed loose salt in feed) you could mix it with water and slop it on hay.

I am also assuming these horses have free-choice hay 24/7

So, (and please feel free to write back with more info) I would do this"

Tie the pony up, dry-lot, or stall him ALL night. We don't eat all night, and ponies don't need to either! Not a bite to eat.

I wouldn't grain him at all. Try something else to get salt/supplements in him, or use just barely enough grain or beet pulp to accomplish this.

If possible, replace part of his hay with clean straw..... the roughage will keep him warm, but the caloric and protein levels are lower.

Please, please, remember it is far kinder to put this pony on a diet, and keep him on it, than to let him founder. I can't begin to tell you how many ponies I have seen/rescued who were literally "killed with kindness" Chronic or acute founder can be devastating, and relatively easy to prevent.

On a personal note: I own a wonderful 12 hand tall mixed breed pony who is 32 this year. She has never foundered, has awesome feet, no arthritis, and is a hell on wheels pony.... NOT for beginners! I have noticed it gets tougher every year to keep the weight off, which is why she runs with our three other horses who keep her moving all the time. Exersize is very important!

If you have any questions, please email me.

Julie